Saturday, September 30, 2006

I notice well over 9 outa 10 freaks (and I count myself in this..) I rub up against who strive for a minimal footprint on Gaia are adament 'bout the need for motorpower to facilitate personal goals. That oblique enough? Urban guerillas notwithstanding, there is a finite level within which we can bike/walk/bus/pool within the current left coast econosocietal paradigm.

Amtrak is bitchin'- I've used it for thousands of miles over the years. Even the Dog is going more upscale--read: comfy at the long-term forecast of less affordability for those who need their service. Neither of these dealies has a great future assured. Sometimes, for example when I wanna drive to a dragstrip*, personal automotive transportation just works best.

I'll stop being a smartass for a sec. to mention a test-float I did last week of the Mercedes Smart Car. A bubble with a progressively more advanced cage (a mix of suburb lifestyle comfortable access blended with limb-security) encases more knees n' elbows room than my Econo 250! Couldn't believe I could easily factor in room for me, a galpal and a 135lb. newfie.
The performance--acceleration--can be reconfig'd as time goes on-play with the gearing and ratios to utilize the three-cyl. motorscooteresque turbo. At 1500lb. deadweight, this isn't as difficult as it could be. I envision placing these machines within megatowns like Seattle, LA, PDX which already have restricted top end speed needs, due to chronic jamups 24/7. I really like the quoted 8o mpg which I mentally adjusted to 55 mpg for harderscrabble lifestyle. Given that, you can fuel up for 5-600 miles, minimum. Playing with this on the Great Highway on up towards Eureka/Samoa Dragstrip comes to mind....Prices range well under 50K- still too steep for my budget, but attainable for someone who wants to plan for it. A housemate asked how I'd feel in my habitat of I-5 inside a Smart. Reletively (ie, it's not my old Kaw..), I could see it. Without visibility to Semis, there are issues. Maybe better we keep it on good ol US 99 and keep pushing the idea.

*-I pledge allegience to the philosophy...and idealism of the Brotherhood. Still, and yet, the news from the South Bay on the latest "psuedo-presentation" by Big Willie doesn't sound promising for a people's park in LA that street racers can utilize. Nothing new palipatates. Richard Heath will likely do another positive Press report as is his charge within the National and International. What I'd like to see, in writing, is something akin to "If not, then when and HOW"..Facilitating drag racing an hour away from metro areas is one thing...muffled tracks such as Portland Intr. and the Brotherhood Raceway are quite another...local tracks by and for people who can travel mere minutes to enjoy fellowship and scald some tires.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home